Sunday, December 31, 2006

Are You A Fool Who Doesn't Know It?


How you respond to the title question, "Are You A Fool Who Doesn't Know It?" may be more indicative of your status as a fool than any other question I might pose to you.

Most of us are fools from time to time. I suspect it is very rare for any person to not be a fool occasionally. That is a lofty standard that I have been unable to achieve throughout my life.

Normally, I act in a manner that is probably regarded by most of the world as anything but foolish, but all of us have elements within our personalities that opens us to foolish behaviors.

When the scales are balanced, I believe most of my actions would be considered as well-considered, and anything but foolish. I will allow my enemies to provide the counterpoints, but by doing so, they demonstrate to me that they are fools themselves.

Like most words, there are different meanings for the word “fool.” Wisely, I consulted the American Heritage Dictionary, which defines a fool as a person who is regarded as deficient in judgment, sense, or understanding. Does this sound familiar?

The fool may act unwisely on a given occasion, perhaps by refusing to acept a job, or by being tricked or made to appear ridiculous; a dupe.

From time to time in my life, I have been fooled, as I was deceived or tricked by others, and sometimes I was confounded. I have fooled around with good and sometimes not so good humor. Often, I have behaved comically.

Typically, I think I am not a fool, as many have expressed that I am a person regarded as anything but deficient in judgment, sense or understanding. And, usually, I act wisely.

On occasion, I have been tricked or made to appear ridiculous, but, typically, I am no person's fool. I may sometimes be a fool voluntarily too. Life is that way. More of us are fools or have acted foolish than those of us who are willing to admit it.

There are many terms to describe a fool, and far too many for me to even begin to identify them all in this column. Some synonyms found in my dictionary that I like a bit more than others are ignoramus, dimwit, numskull, dunce, bonehead, turkey, and narrow mind. Still, others I like are knucklehead, dingbat, nitwit, and chump. If you have ever been called any of these words, then someone was calling you a fool.

I conclude with a few quotes an internet pal shared with me today. Think about the wisdom expressed within these quotes for more than a moment, and reflect on the question: "Are you a fool who doesn't know it?"

Strange Quotes about "Fools"

Get the fools on your side and you can be elected to anything. - Frank Dane

A man who cannot reason is a fool, a man who will not reason is a bigot, and a man who dare not reason is a slave. - William Drummond

If a million people believe a foolish thing, it is still a foolish thing. - Anatole France

The heart of a fool is in his mouth, but the mouth of a wise man is in his heart. - Benjamin Franklin

Fools' names, like fools' faces, Are often seen in public places. - Thomas Fuller

Zeal is fit only for wise men, but is found mostly in fools. - Thomas Fuller

A wise man gets more use from his enemies than a fool from his friends. - Baltasar Gracian

There are more fools in the world than there are people. - Heinrich Heine

We must learn to live together as brothers or perish together as fools. - Martin Luther King, Jr.

The silliest woman can manage a clever man; but it needs a very clever woman to manage a fool. - Rudyard Kipling "Plain Tales from the Hills"

Burton Fletcher
www.USAMonuments.com
Burton@USAMonuments.com

No comments: