Sunday, April 22, 2007

An Update Regarding The Kenneth Kendrick Memorial


I received the following email from Becky Porter regarding an earlier article of mine relating to the Kenneth Kendrick Memorial shown with this article.

Ms. Porter was kind to share thoughts regarding my article and to highlight some of the many accomplishments of Kenneth Kendrick, a life well lived.

"Hello... My pastor mentioned something today in church that made me think of Kenneth Kendrick. After coming home I decided to look on the internet and see just what I could find out about Kenneth.

I ran across your article about the Kenneth Kendrick Memorial. You mentioned that there must be a story and you wish his monument had said more about his story, and you had wondered why he had died at the age of 43.

I have known Kenneth all my life. We were in kindergarden together. We came from a small town in Georgia, Metter. Kenneth was always different, but very artistic and as intelligent as anyone you have ever met. Anything, and I do mean anything, he did, he did it exceptionally well. He was very talented.

At college he studied art, excelling in all his studies. I believe one of his first careers was in designing logos. He won awards all over the world. He was one of the logoists used to design the new signage for Underground Atlanta when it underwent a huge remodeling . He did art work for Coke cans highlighting the summer Olympics in Montreal (I believe it was Montreal), did posters for Nancy Reagan's "Just Say No" drug campaign and many other accomplishments.

The last career he had was as art director of the Sunday magazine of the New York Times. Kenneth knew he was dying, he had AIDS, and he designed his monument that is there in the cemetary in Eldridge, Alabama. I have visited that grave more than once. His companion, Owen, is buried next to him now. He died a year or so later.

I hope I have not bored you but I just felt I should share some of his story. Kenneth was a unique person. Our class will be having our 40th class reunion May 12 and we will miss him.

Becky Porter
Lyons, Georgia"

Ms. Porter, you have honored me with your words humanizing the life of Kenneth Kendrick. I am happy to share your throughts regarding a remarkable life with my readers.
My original article may be read at http://www.valdostamemorials.com/articles/ArticleBalls.asp.

Burton Fletcher
www.USAMonuments.com
Tel: 229.245.8858
Burton@USAMonuments.com

No comments: