Sunday, January 14, 2007

Listen To Your Friends And Live Within Your Means!


"Helen" was my student during the early 1980s, and like many of my former students, we have maintained a friendship over the years.

Helen and I had a recent conversation that I thought I might share with some of my readers.

Helen is a talented woman, now retired, and living an affluent lifestyle in a city far away from her family and friends of many years.

As will occur as we grow older, Helen has developed some health problems in recent years. Also, she has been living at or above her means for several years.

When Helen consulted me, my advice was to put her finances in order, she could either increase her stream of revenues or reduce her expenses.

Unfortunately, as we age, there are fewer career paths open to us as potential employers refuse to hire us as they are unwilling to carry the financial burden of medical insurance that would not exist with the hiring of a young worker.

Age and other forms of illegal discrimination are pervasive throughout our society. What can I say but, "Life is not fair!"

In reply to my advice, Helen wrote me a thank you note expressing the following:

"Burton, after speaking to you yesterday, I have decided to take your good advice and downsize. As you said, it is always good to get another person's perspective on your problem."

"Starting today, I plan to get the ball rolling towards selling this house and obtaining another in California, for a lot less money and upkeep. Instead of spending my life savings on this house and an expensive lifestyle, I need to be conservative and save for the future."

"You are right, at my age it is going to be very hard to get the job that I want, so getting my _________ license is the best way to earn an income without all of the hassles of a full time or part time job teaching. I plan to check on a _______ license for California."

"Thanks again for that reality check. I needed that advice to motivate me to take the necessary path that I need to follow to have a more prosperous future."

"I value your friendship. Thanks for being there for me."


Listen to those who care about you and who have valuable advice to share. If my advice is followed, as I expect it will be, my friend will live a longer and happier life.

A closed circle without external inputs perpetuates the same decisions of the past. If you want better results, something has to change to act as a catalyst that will bring about a different outcome in the dynamic world that we live.

Thank you, Helen! I value your friendship because you have been there for me too!

Listen to your friends and live within your means!

Burton Fletcher
www.USAMonuments.com

Note: I invite my readers to share their opinions and contributions by writing me at Burton@USAMonuments.com. From time to time, I post reader's comments on my blogs. A blog dedicated to the monument industry can be found at www.granitetroll.blogspot.com.


No comments: