Thursday, November 30, 2006

Caveat Emptor, Caveat Vendor & The Golden Rule!

Some folks are great at creating a double bind, a set of circumstances in which the vendor must choose between similarly disappointing choices. Like any vendor should, I seek to avoid those dilemmas, as I explain below.

Caveat Emptor: The Latin phrase, caveat emptor, meaning buyer beware, is the principle in commerce that the buyer alone is accountable for measuring the merit of an acquisition before purchasing.

Caveat Vendor: Unfortunately, there are some people in this world who are always picking fights with others and who are never satisfied with the work of others. Of course, they have a lower standard for themselves than what they have for everyone else. With these people, and in those situations, I say caveat vendor or vendor beware!

I read a quote, attributed to Savvy, that states:“A final caveat: Most experts feel that clients get unsatisfactory results when they don't specify clearly what they want.” The vendor cannot be responsible for a buyer’s lack of clear instructions, or for a buyer’s remorse!

If we manufacture a monument that is different than the specifications ordered, we will either adjust the price or replace the monument, as it was our responsibility to produce the memorial in accord with the instructions we were given.

The Golden Rule: I believe in “the Golden Rule,” the concept that we should do unto others as we would have them do unto us. That is always the starting and ending point in our relations with our clients.

If I treat clients as I would wish to be treated, then I have fulfilled my part of the bargain.

Share with us by emailing your thoughts to Burton@USAMonuments.com.

No comments: