Thursday, November 16, 2006

An Update On Losing A Pet

It has been said that "time heals all wounds." I'm not sure that wounds are ever healed; however, the pain subsides as we go on with our lives.

I still feel the loss of Muffin, my beloved Chihuahua, though it has been a little over two months since her passing. Though she can never be replaced, a wonderful joy came into my life with the adoption of Bobby, a Chihuahua, and Dusty, a Britany Spaniel.

Bobby is my favorite of the two as he is compact and the house dog of the two. Dusty is a pure bred and high strung. He is a sweet dog, though his numerous antics for chewing up water hoses, digging holes and the like test me on a frequent basis. Yes, I love them both. I adopted both from the pound in remembrance of Muffin. I felt like it was the right thing to do and I have never once regretted my decision.

Bobby had been abused sometime in his past. He still has a buck shot pellet in his left front leg. When he runs, he lifts his left rear leg. I cannot imagine the circumstances where anyone would want to harm an animal so small.

Bobby was quick tempered when we first adopted him. With lots of love, his temperament has changed, and he is obviously in love with us, just as we are in love with him. When we go to the door, he is right there with us, ready to go for a ride just as we took Muffin with us throughout her life.

I still miss Muffin and her cremains rest beneath my desk in a beautiful urn. Life goes on with or without us and we might as well accept that the world is not going to stop turning when we pass on. Life is short under the best of circumstances, and for too many folks, it is cut even shorter. We never know when we are going to pull out in front of a semi-truck, so we should have our affairs in order.

I love you Muffin. I love you Bobby. I love you Dusty. Life is so much better with the joy that our pet friends bring into our lives. Amen!

Share with us by emailing your thoughts to Burton@USAMonuments.com.

No comments: