Wednesday, June 11, 2008

Rules For Communication



I saw the referenced plaque in an antique store in Lake City, Florida. It reminds me that every business and individual needs self-imposed rules of conduct.

Today, I received an outrageous email from an acquaintance espousing a political view much different than my own. I called my acquaintance and gently informed him that my views were the polar opposite of his own.

I saw no need to be disagreeable or impolite and I did not attempt to change his viewpoint. I did inform him that my views were different than his and I then dropped the subject.

Sex, religion and politics are three subjects among many where great caution should be exercised. Relationships can be needlessly fractured by carelessly revealing views that are personal to the individual.

Use caution when discussing controversial topics and you will enjoy a happier life.

No comments: