Wednesday, June 07, 2006

Visiting Cemeteries Is A Fun Experience

Visiting cemeteries is an enjoyable experience to me. Too many folks have hangups regarding cemeteries. Sooner or later, everyone is going to die, and most of us will probably wind up there. Accept the inevitable and enjoy every moment along life's journey.

Recently, I visited Jacksonville, Florida and stayed with my aunt Dorothy for a couple of enjoyable days.

Before my visit, I called funeral directors and asked which cemeteries were worthy of photographic or historical significance.

With the names in hand, I researched the addresses and used www.mapquest.com to compile directions to the various cemeteries.

As many of you know, Jacksonville, Florida is a large city. Though I have lived in a large city most of my life, I know the importance of using extra caution in visiting cities in which I am unfamiliar. Just having directions is not enough for an enjoyable visit.

I had the opportunity to stop by a center for folks who are in need of financial resources. I asked whether anyone with intimate knowledge of the city was interested in assisting me with my tour in exchange for financial compensation.

Fortunately, I met a gentleman named "Shorty" who agreed to work for me during the visit. Shorty was an excellent companion and tour guide. He might not have known about all of the cemetery locations; however, with directions in hand, and his knowledge of the local area, I had the time of my life.

I took nearly 500 photographs during my trip and posted approximately 350 of those photographs in our cemetery section of www.USAMonuments.com.

My advice: Plan your sightseeing trip; know your destinations; obtain directions in advance; and hire a local guide from the pool of available labor who are in need of financial assistance. Finally, with digital camera in hand, and lots of rechargeable batteries, enjoy the experience!

Share with us by emailing your thoughts to Burton@USAMonuments.com.

No comments: